Glug of olive oil
1.6kg pork shoulder off the bone, in one piece
1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 yellow or orange pepper, seeded and chopped
2-3 hot chilli peppers, seeded and finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp hot or 1 tbsp mild smoked paprika
1 can chopped tomatoes, undrained
60ml red wine vinegar
250ml bottle of Brothers Toffee Apple cider
1 tbsp brown sugar
Salt & pepper to taste
60ml sour cream or crème fraiche to serve (optional with lemon zest and a handful of chopped fresh parsley)
Warm Pitta Bread, for serving
In the recipe
Toffee Apple Cider
The perfect Halloween treat. So you have a bunch of friends coming round for All Hallows' Eve and you need some food inspiration and more importantly something tasty and scarylicious to celebrate Halloween.
This amazingly simple recipe is easy to follow, super tasty and the perfect accompaniment for Brothers Toffee Apple cider - the unofficial cider of Halloween.
• Chop onion, chilli peppers, peppers and crush garlic.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a heavy skillet set over medium-high heat.
• Brown the pork shoulder on all sides.
• Place pork shoulder in slow cooker.
• Add the onions to the pan and cook until they start to turn brown
• Stir in the chopped peppers, chilli pepper and garlic.
• Add them to the pork in the slow cooker along with the paprika, tomatoes, vinegar and sugar.
• Pour 250ml Brothers Toffee Apple cider.
• Set the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours. Take the lid off and test the meat – it should pull apart easily with a fork. Continue cooking with the lid off if you’d like to thicken the sauce. Skim any fat from the surface.
• Remove pork from slow cooker and using two forks, shred the meat and distribute it through the sauce.
• Season with salt and pepper.
• Serve in pitta breads, topped with a dollop of soured cream or crème fraîche.