475g mixed berries
1 garlic clove - grated
3 tbsp Red wine vinegar
100ml Brothers Wild Fruit cider
1/2 a small lemon – juice & rind
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 small onion - finely chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger - grated
1/4 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 block of Halloumi cheese
In the recipe
Wild Fruit Cider
We know what it’s like, no idea what to have for dinner, don’t want to spend an age cooking. With just a simple bit of grating, squeezing, frying and pouring you can whip up a delicious Halloumi and Brothers Wild Fruit cider Compote that is perfect for starters or as a main dish.
• Chop 1 onion, grate 1 garlic clove, peel and grate 1 tbsp of ginger, slice 1 lemon, grate and squeeze.
• Lightly fry the onion in a little oil, until glossy and translucent.
• Combine all ingredients including 475g of mixed berries and 100ml of Brothers Wild Fruit cider in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
• Reduce the heat to simmering and cook uncovered for a further 25 minutes (stirring occasionally). The liquid needs to reduce considerably so that it is the consistency of a runny chutney (if not, cook for a bit longer while keeping an eye on it).
• Spoon contents of saucepan into a sterilised jar (to sterilise a normal jam jar, fill with boiling water for 5 minutes then dry in a low oven out before use). Allow to cool before serving. Safely keeps for 2 weeks in the fridge.
To grill your Halloumi:
• Heat grill to medium-high heat, slice the Halloumi into slabs 5-10 mm thick.
• Place the slices of cheese directly on the grill. Grill the Halloumi for about 3 minutes per side, until the cheese is lightly browned on the outside and warm and soft through the middle.
• Place on a plate on top of few salad leaves if you’re feeling angelic, drizzle your fruity compote onto the Halloumi. Yum!