- 500g pork shoulder - cubed
- 1 large onion - sliced
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 celery sticks - sliced
- 1 cooking apple, about 150g - peeled, cored & sliced
- 2 eating apples, 225-250g - peeled, cored & sliced
- 6 sage leaves,
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml/6fl oz Brothers Toffee Apple cider
- 175ml/6fl oz chicken stock
- Salt & pepper
- Shop bought puff pastry
In the recipe
Toffee Apple Cider
Unit price per
Take your pie game to the next level with our Toffee Apple cider, Pork & Sage pie served with creamy mash and vegetables. A feel good comfort food classic to warm you up on a winter's night.
- Heat your oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- For the filling, heat one tablespoon of oil in a large, wide pan over a medium-low heat.
- Add the onion and celery and cook gently for 8-10 minutes, or until soft but not coloured.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan.
- Add a little more oil if necessary, increase the heat to medium-high and add half of the pork. Brown it well on all sides, remove from the pan and repeat with the remaining pork.
- Turn the heat down a little. Return all the pork to the pan with the onion and celery. Sprinkle in the flour, stir and cook for one minute.
- Gradually add the cider and stock, stirring them in so that the flour is absorbed. • Add the apples and sage. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until the pork is tender.
- Taste the sauce and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the filling to a 1.2 litre pie dish and leave to cool.
• Brush the pastry with beaten egg and make a steam hole in the centre
• Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the pastry is crisp and golden-brown.
• Leave for 10-15 minutes before serving, with mash and vegetables.