• 2 eggs lightly beaten
• 3 tbsp cornflour
• 100g plain flour
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp pepper
• 2 tsp paprika
• 650g Tofu chopped into bite-size chunks
For the sauce:
• 1 tbsp sesame oil (optional)
• 2 cloves garlic peeled & minced
• 1 tbsp Chinese rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
• 2 tbsp honey
• 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
• 3 tbsp ketchup
• 2 tbsp brown sugar
• 50ml Toffee Apple cider
• 4 tbsp soy sauce
• Boiled rice
• 2 tbsp sesame seed
• Small bunch spring onions chopped
In the recipe
Toffee Apple Cider
Our Chinese Toffee Apple Tofu recipe is anything but bland. A scrumptious meat free meal which brings together the most amazing oriental flavours with Toffee Apple fruit cider for a unique twist.
Perfect for those quick midweek meals or treating yourself on the weekend. Simple, quick and totally delicious, just add couch and Netflix.
(Other streaming services are also available)!
• Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan until very hot.
• Whilst the oil is heating, lightly beat the eggs in one shallow bowl and the cornflour in another shallow bowl.
• In another bowl add the flour, salt, pepper, garlic salt and paprika and mix together.
• Cover the tofu in the cornflour, then dip in the egg (make sure all of the chicken is covered in egg wash), and finally cover it in the seasoned flour.
• Add to the wok and cook on a high heat for 6-7 minutes, turning two or three times during cooking, until well browned.
• Remove from the pan and place in a bowl lined with kitchen towels.
For the sauce:
• Add all of the sauce ingredients (apart from the Toffee Apple cider) to the hot wok, stir and reduce the sauce on a high heat until it reduces by about a third (should take 2-3 minutes).
• Add the Toffee Apple cider and return the tofu to the pan and toss in the sauce. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
To serve:• Turn off the heat and divide between four bowls.
• Serve with boiled rice and top with sesame seeds and spring onions.