300ml Brothers Rhubarb & Custard Cider
500g Rhubarb (sliced into thumb-sized chunks)
200g Golden Granulated Sugar
250ml non-dairy milk
1.5tbsp Cornstarch or Cornflour
1.5tbsp Maple Syrup
110g Icing Sugar
250g Plain Flour
150g Golden Granulated Sugar
300g Plain Flour
In the recipe
Rhubarb & Custard
Need to warm yourself up this winter? Try our Rhubarb & Custard Vegan dessert with a difference. Our homage to the classic British desert.
• Place the rhubarb, sugar and Brothers Rhubarb & Custard Cider in a medium sized saucepan.
• Bring it to boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Leave it to cool.
• In a small jug, add the cornflour. Pour a little of the non-dairy milk. Mix well. Keep aside.
• In a saucepan add the rest of the milk and maple syrup. Add the cornstarch mixture and mix.
• Turn the heat to medium while stirring constantly.
• Remove from the heat when you reached a thicker smooth sauce. Leave it to cool.
• Mix the margarine, icing sugar and plain flour in a mixing bowl until it forms a dough. Don't over mix it.
• Place it in the fridge for 20 minutes to cool.
• Mix the sugar, margarine and plain flour until it looks like bread crumbs. Keep aside.
• Roll out your pastry and place it in a 9" baking ring.
• Put plenty of breadcrumbs on the pastry.
• Add your custard, following with the poached rhubarb.
• Finally put the crumble on top.
• Bake it in a preheated oven on 180°C for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of www.earthcakebristol.com