- 300ml Brothers Rhubarb & Custard Cider
- 500g Rhubarb (sliced into thumb-sized chunks)
- 200g Golden Granulated Sugar
- 250ml non-dairy milk
- 1.5tbsp Cornstarch or Cornflour
- 1.5tbsp Maple Syrup
- 110g Margarine
- 110g Icing Sugar
- 250g Plain Flour
- 150g Golden Granulated Sugar
- 150g Margarine
- 300g Plain Flour
Need to warm yourself up this winter? Try our Rhubarb & Custard Vegan dessert with a difference. Our homage to the classic British desert.
- Place the rhubarb, sugar and Brothers Rhubarb & Custard Cider in a medium sized saucepan.
- Bring it to boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Leave it to cool.
- In a small jug, add the cornflour. Pour a little of the non-dairy milk. Mix well. Keep aside.
- In a saucepan add the rest of the milk and maple syrup. Add the cornstarch mixture and mix.
- Turn the heat to medium while stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat when you reached a thicker smooth sauce. Leave it to cool.
- Mix the margarine, icing sugar and plain flour in a mixing bowl until it forms a dough. Don't over mix it.
- Place it in the fridge for 20 minutes to cool.
- Mix the sugar, margarine and plain flour until it looks like bread crumbs. Keep aside.
- Roll out your pastry and place it in a 9" baking ring.
- Put plenty of breadcrumbs on the pastry.
- Add your custard, following with the poached rhubarb.
- Finally put the crumble on top.
- Bake it in a preheated oven on 180°C for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of www.earthcakebristol.com