- 5 tsp Toffee Apple
- 3 lb (1.35 kg) belly pork, trimmed and cut into 8 thick strips (trimmed weight 2 lb 8 oz/1.15 kg)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped small
- Black pepper
For the sauce:
- 5 tablespoons Japanese soy sauce
- 1 heaped tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon light soft brown sugar
In the recipe
Toffee Apple Cider
Unit price per
Belly Pork Strips in Sticky Toffee Apple barbecue sauce. These strips of belly pork are a great alternative for a BBQ but also make great finger food for parties and celebrations.
• Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6, 400°F (200°C).
• First of all, make sure the strips of belly pork are absolutely dry by patting them with kitchen paper.
• Then rub each one all over with olive oil and season with freshly milled pepper (but no salt because of the sauce).
• Now pop them into the roasting tin, tucking the chopped onion in among them and sprinkling them with a few more drops of oil.
• Place the tin on the highest shelf in the oven and let them cook for 30 minutes.
For the BBQ sauce
• Simply whisk all the sauce ingredients together until blended thoroughly.
• When the pork has been cooking for 30 minutes, pour off any excess oil from the roasting tin.
• Pour the barbecue sauce over the pork and cook for a further 25 minutes, basting frequently.